Saturday, January 17, 2009

Become a Linux Server Wizard

How does a person become proficient at the Linux operating system? I asked a friend that once. He was a "Linux Guru" if ever there was such a person. His answer was simple, "I've been using Linux for years." I understand that statement now. With roughly ten years under my belt I can profess that I am a "Linux Geek"; I'm just below Guru status.

So tonight I was thinking about what to write about, or what could I do to help others with the Linux operating system. It struck me immediately. Why not demonstrate how to set up a Linux system on which a person can build a server, test it out, and add other servers to it!

My first attempt went pretty well, but you can be the judge. The Linux system I suggest doesn't have a GUI - everything is command line. The servers are installed in random order to eliminate any type of "cookie-cutter" configuration. However, we will be basing a lot of configurations off of such a "cookie-cutter" system (http://www.howtoforge.org/perfect-server-mandriva-2009.0-x86_64).

Our first project is to set up a Linux system and build an FTP server on it. I am using VMware on a Windows Vista system because I have no spare machines at the moment. This system, as I stated earlier, will have no GUI. We will do everything "command-style" to ensure a better understanding of the Linux system.


Let's begin!


1. Download mandriva-linux-free-2009-dual-arch.iso (Google for it)

2. Continue the installation, but follow the screenshots I am providing:




3. Uncheck all package group selections and hit next

4. Accept the default of "With basic documentation (recommended!)". Be sure you choose normal security or you will run into trouble later on as we progress through upcoming projects!

5. urpmi drakxtools to ease administration of the server using the commandline

6. urpmi mlocate to ease administration when searching for files using the commandline

7. updatdb to build index of files on system for the locate command to use

8. vi /etc/cron.daily/software_update to create a script to update and auto install updates daily

9. Type and save

  • #!/bin/bash on the first line
  • urpmi.update on the second line
  • updatesurpmi --auto --update --auto-select on the third line
10. urpmi proftpd to install the ftp server

11. vi /etc/proftpd.conf to configure the ftp server

12. Change ServerName "Your Servers Name or whatever you want it to say"

13. Uncomment DefaultRoot ~

14. Add IdentLookups off

15. Add ServerIdent on "FTP Server Ready."

16. Comment out all of the Bar Use Site CHMOD by default entries

17. service proftpd restart

18. Use your prefered ftp program and connect to your new ftp server using the username and password that you used when installing the server

19. Create a new folder and copy a file into it

20. Traverse into the users home directory and verify the folder and file are there

21. Delete the folder and file

22. Disconnect your ftp program.



Deion "Mule" Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment